- I have experience in speaking at conventions and universities. If you’d like for me to speak at your school or organization about game music or careers in games, let me know. My email is below.
- Follow me on Twitter (@benprunty) or my Facebook page for the most up-to-date info on my projects.
I’m Ben. I arrange sound into pleasing patterns for a living. I tried working at regular jobs, but I’m so bad at it that when an employer reads my resume, the company he’s working for immediately goes out of business. Here are some jobs I’ve held in the last ten years or so: cleaning toilets, managing a GameStop, diagnosing and ripping apart about five thousand computers at Google (not an exaggeration), unpacking shipping crates at 4AM, and helping volunteers record audio books for dyslexics.
Throughout all this time I was making music constantly and slowly working my way into the game development community. Then I made the music for FTL and now I don’t need to keep a day job and employers no longer have to suffer.
FTL’s soundtrack got a lot of praise and awards, including a nomination for IGN’s Music of the Year award for 2012. You can see a full listing of praise for the soundtrack here. Its success changed my life forever.
You can buy the soundtrack and all my other music on my Bandcamp page.
I’m now working on a number of other projects, including:
- Gravity Ghost – A non-violent platformer with gorgeous art.
- Star Crawlers – An old-school, 1st-person dungeon crawler set on derelict space ships.
- Color Sky – an album of dreamy, groovy electronic music.
- FranknJohn – a roguelike beat-em-up with a horror b-movie vibe.
- Scale – A puzzle and exploration game where you can change the size of any object.
- Dead Secret – A horror-adventure game about investigating a murder.
- A couple secret projects that haven’t been announced yet!
You can hear music from these upcoming projects on my SoundCloud page.
If you’re an aspiring musician or game developer, I invite you to read my blog, which has tons of information about becoming a composer and making a career in the games business. I’ve also done interviews with PC Gamer, NPR, and many others. They may also be useful to the aspiring musician.
I’m also on the advisory board for Brenda and John Romero’s Games & Playable Media Master’s program at UC Santa Cruz. This involves evaluating student projects and providing advice and guidance for the students. It’s incredibly rewarding and it’s great to see what the students accomplish.
The only other thing you really need to know about me is that I’ve beaten God Hand. This act required a superhuman level of insanity and masochism. I suffered approximately 40 heart attacks and still get post-traumatic stress whenever I think of any one of its many, many boss fights, but now I can solve almost any problem with punching.
Email me at benprunty[at]gmail.com.